Sunday, August 13, 2006

Children at Church

I experienced a "first" today as I walked through the doors of our local church. Today marks the first Sunday that Summer and I have brought our son to Sunday School and worship. He is just over six weeks old and the doctor cleared him to leave the house.
I had to smile at the thought of how God has blessed my life through His church. I was Ethan's age when I was first brought through the doors of First Baptist many years ago. My parents probably did not give much thought to that first introduction to the body of Christ, and yet God has used it in an incredible way. Now I get to pass that same blessing on to my child. I hope that Summer and I will model for him the the importance of Christ and a commitment to church. Deuteronomy 6:4-7 comes to mind:


"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with
all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments
that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them
on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when
you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."
------------------------------------------------
Ethan seemed to enjoy his first day at church, although he slept through most of it. Although now that I think about it, that description may fit a few of our adults as well. Regardless, I hope that this is the first of many days that our son spends with the body of Christ.
-----------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home