Monday, April 04, 2011

Wash and Wax...and Wisdom?


There is a world which is lost to many of us. As adults we are goal oriented and seek to move from agenda item to agenda item as fast and efficiently as possible. There are things to accomplish and things which have to be done. Washing the truck and car were simply two items on my list this past week. I wanted to get out the bucket and the soap and finish as quickly as possible so I could keep moving...but the kids wanted to help. So began an adventure and a lesson in life.

My kids and I both engaged in the same task, yet it became apparent we existed in two completely different worlds. I sought to push through the chore and move on to bigger and better things. They relished the moment and found joy in the mundane. I saw dirt particles and pollen dust caked on the vehicles. They saw an opportunity for excitement. Ethan delighted in spraying his sister and pouring water out of his small bucket. Abigail enjoyed climbing into the soap bucket and running around with her small washcloth. The same task...two different ways of viewing the world.

While I understand the importance of approaching any task with hard work and a commitment to do the job right, it seems that I so often forget to see the value of the little moments. Why it it that as adults we seem to become blind to the wonders of this world? It seems that as we age our eyesight becomes more and more narrow. We only see what has to be accomplished and forget that in the accomplishment are hidden ten thousand things to enjoy! Praise the Lord for children who remind me that every minute is a gift from God to be held tightly and enjoyed immensely. I pray that more and more my eyes become open to the world I once knew. It would be great to live in such a place again.



2 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger Deann said...

I love this post, Eric! Isn't it amazing how God sometimes uses our children to teach us lessons that we wouldn't learn otherwise?

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Madeline's Album said...

What a sweet post. Watching our children can be quite meaningful and educational. Love the photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home