Monday, January 26, 2009

Favorites Week - Films

Okay. So my posting has been a little sporadic and I confess my efforts to make it consistent have thus far failed. In an effort to discipline myself, I am determined to make a post every day of this work week. To help me do so, I have instituted favorites week. Each day I intend to share some of my favorites in certain categories...today is in the category of movies. So in no particular order, here are my top five favorite films. If you haven't seen one of the films on the list, you can consider it to be a recommendation from me for your next movie night. Enjoy!

1. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) - A film conncerning a naive, yet idealistic young man who finds himself thrust into the spotlight when he is appointed by the governor to fill a vacant Senate seat. Once in Washington, he discovers that he is surrounded by corruption and stages a fight for truth and justice. The fillibuster scene is one the greatest moments in cinema.

2. High Noon (1952) - A lawmen is thrust into the position of defending a town from a gunslinger arriving on the noon train. Left alone by the cowardly townspeople, the sheriff stands alone for justice when no one else will stand with him. A wonderful film extoling the virtue of standing up for what is right even when others refuse.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) - In a small southern town, racism runs high. A black man is accused of a terrible crime and put on trial. Everyone is ready to condemn the man except one lawyer who agrees to take the case. The story is told through the eyes of the lawyer's daughter as she learns about life and truth from the best of examples - her father!


4. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - If adventure had a name it would be Indiana Jones. I agree with the statement for this movie takes its place as the greatest adventure film ever made. Henry Jones Jr. treks around the globe to find the lost Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis.


5. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003) - I know...I know...it is three films; but isn't is really just one story? This epic set of films is majestic in grandeur and infused with Biblical truth. In the quest to destroy the one ring, Frodo and his companions fight against evil and struggle against the pull of the ring. Who can't watch this film and not see Christ's return shadowed in Gandolf's ride down into Helm's Deep and humanity's sin exposed through the corruption of giving into the ring. An excellent story with more truth than we see on the surface. In my opinion this is the greatest trilogy ever put on film.

4 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Deann said...

I'm sure it was hard to pick just five. Of course, Lord of the Rings would definitely be at the top of my own list of favorite movies... love it, love it, love it!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Madeline's Album said...

I have seen all of them except Lord of the Rings. The ones I have seen were all terrific movies.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger David said...

1) Return of the King
2) Chronicles of Narnia: Lion/Witch/Wardrobe
3) Bourne Ultimatum
4) The Water Horse
5) Hunt for Red October

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Julia said...

I will never forget being introduced to "mr. smith goes to washington" a classic film I would have never seen but for Eric :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home