Thursday, June 11, 2009

Carey and Conversion

During my morning Bible reading I came across this verse which stood out: "I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have spoken of Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth from the great congregation" (Psalm 40:10). Within this verse the psalmist speaks to the testimony of the tongue. When God has done something great within our hearts and lives we can not keep silent. The wonders of His work should be shared with others. Far too often I find myself keeping silent when I ought to be speaking. The glory of the gospel is to be shared with all people. As I was dwelling upon this truth my mind returned to a passage I read from a biography on William Carey. I wanted to share it as a reminder of how our hearts must be set on fire to carry the gospel into all the world and proclaim the great things God has done. The turning point in Carey's life came when He was pouring over the travel logs of Captain Cook some two hundred years ago:

"Then, for Carey, the log-books changed into something deeper – a revelation of the sin and sorrow, the immorality, cruelty and misery of un-evangelized peoples; a drama of the world’s tragic ignorance of Christ, a door opening into hell. The peoples of the South Seas and of the coasts of New Zealand, though so likable, were also so barbarian. War was their chief sport, and their victories often cannibal celebrations. All was scorched deeply into his soul, and his compassion aroused to an inextinguishable degree. The South Seas began to lure him. He dreamed of ships other than Cook’s Endeavor and Resolution speeding on an even nobler errand, ships chartered for the heralds of saving grace. Captain Cook’s log-books were the match that lit the torch in Carey’s heart, and made him yearn to be a missionary.”

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger Madeline's Album said...

Great post Eric, very meaningful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home