Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Night to Remember

I can still remember sitting in front of the television with my entire family on New Year's Day 1993. We were watching the Sugar Bowl together as a family and relishing every moment of Alabama's dismantling of the vaunted Miami Hurricanes and their Heisman winning quarterback. After the final tick of the clock the players lifted Coach Stallings in the air and carried him onto the field in a magnificent parade. The celebration that followed that game went well into the night across the state and for the first time I saw Alabama achieve what I had always heard my dad talk about – a national championship. Fast forward to last Thursday night. I sat with my wife and kids and watched another championship game unfold. After halftime, Summer went to bed because of an illness and Ethan and Abigail fell fast asleep. Yet at the final ticks of the clock, after Ingram rushed in for the touchdown that put the game away, I had to wake Ethan up. We sat together and watched the final plays and the celebration that followed. I was determined that he get to see what I have begun to tell him about – Alabama’s national championships. It would be too much to say that my family bleeds crimson, but there has always been a great joy shared between my father, brother, and I in watching the games together and talking about past teams. Now I get to share that with my son and although he may not remember the game in years to come, I will. I’m glad it was a memory we got to share together. Hopefully it will be a memory we will get to share again and again. Roll Tide!
(Photo from Birmingham News)

2 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger David said...

Eric, studies have shown that young toddlers like Ethan need a good long uninterrupted sleep. Only if Texas had won should you have woken him to celebrate. :)
If Texas had to lose, I'm glad the Tide was the one to win.

I had a similar father/son moment recently. My HS alma mater, Pilot Point (texas), won its 1st State Championship in December, its first since 1981, which was my team. My 6-yr old son Will and I watched the end of the game as it streamed live on the Internet from Kirbyville-area television. As the clock sounded 0:00, I hoisted Will in the air and celebrated loudly. So did he. And it was great.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Madeline's Album said...

Roll Tide. What a great season they had. Ethan may not remember but we sure will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home