Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oscar Night Observations


So the annual Oscar telecast is tonight, and I have to admit that I don't really trust Hollywood to tell me what movies are deserving of my attention. Their values, goals, and motivations do not measure up to scripture and therefore their definition of excellence fails to impress. Instead of waiting until the envelopes are unsealed, here are three films I enjoyed from last year that won't be receiving an Oscar statuette (except perhaps Wall-E):


1.) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -
Sure it didn't receive an abundance of critical acclaim for a groundbreaking story, but the adventure is still a two-hour thrill ride better than most movies out there.

2.) Wall-E -
The best of the Pixar animated films in my opinion. A great story of unrelenting love, and the contrast between Wall-E's affections for Eve and humanity's robot-like lives is brilliant.

3.) Fireproof -
This movie met expectations and far surpassed them. Here is a true love story and the best film on marriage I have ever seen.
P.S. I took the above photo outside the Kodak theater in Hollywood the day before the Oscars in 2006.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home